Meditations for the 15 Mysteries of the Rosary
A thought is suggested for each of the 10 Hail Marys in each decade. Some people find it helpful simply to gaze at a picture depicting the mystery. The Joyful Mysteries are usually prayed on Mondays and Thursdays, and also on Sundays during Advent.
Joyful Mysteries | Sorrowful Mysteries | Glorious Mysteries
The Five Joyful Mysteries
I. The Annunciation
- The Angel Gabriel is sent to Nazareth.
- The Angel greets Mary: “Hail, full of grace; the Lord is with thee.”
- Mary is troubled at the Angel’s word.
- Gabriel tells Mary that she is to be the Mother of God.
- Mary speaks of her virginity: “How shall this be done, since I know not man?”
- The Angel foretells the Virgin Birth.
- Gabriel also says that Elizabeth has conceived a child in her old age.
- Mary consents: “Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done unto me according to thy word.”
- The Word is made flesh.
- Mary adores the God Who has become incarnate within her womb.
II. The Visitation
- Mary hastens to visit Elizabeth in her time of need.
- Mary greets Elizabeth.
- At the sound of Mary’s voice, John leaps for joy in his mother’s womb.
- Elizabeth praises Mary: “Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.”
- Mary returns praise to God: “My soul doth magnify the Lord...”
- Mary waits on Elizabeth.
- John the Baptist is born and the people celebrate.
- Zachary’s tongue is loosed and he praises God.
- Joseph fears to take Mary for his spouse.
- An Angel reassures Joseph, telling him that Mary has conceived by the Holy Ghost.
III. The Birth of Our Lord
- Mary and Joseph journey to Bethlehem.
- They are turned away from the inn; there is no room for them.
- Joseph finds shelter in a stable.
- Jesus is born and laid in a manger.
- The angels announces the birth of Christ to the shepherds.
- The heavenly host praises God: “Glory to God in the highest...”
- The shepherds come to worship at the crib.
- They marvel at the word of the angels.
- Mary ponders these things in her heart.
- The Magi come to adore the Christ Child.
IV. The Presentation of Our Lord
- Mary and Joseph bring the Infant to the Temple.
- Mary and Joseph make an offering of two doves for the Child.
- Simeon sees the Christ Child and recognizes the Messias.
- He receives the Christ Child into his arms.
- Simeon blesses Mary and Joseph.
- He foretells the destiny of the Child and the sorrows of His Mother.
- Anna, who leads a life of prayer and penance, also recognizes the Savior.
- She speaks of the child to the people.
- An angel warns the Holy Family to flee into Egypt to escape Herod.
- The Holy Family returns to Nazareth
V. The Finding of Our Lord in the Temple
- The Holy Family journeys to Jerusalem to celebrate the Pasch.
- The Holy Family worships at the feast.
- After the feast, Mary and Joseph leave Jerusalem, not knowing that Jesus remained behind.
- Jesus is found missing from the caravan after a day’s journey.
- Mary and Joseph search for three days.
- Jesus is found in the Temple in the midst of the doctors.
- Mary receives her Child in Joy and anguish.
- Jesus speaks of his Father’s work.
- Jesus returns with Mary and Joseph; Mary ponders in her heart.
- Jesus grows in wisdom, age and grace.
Back to top
Return to CMRI Home